Saturday, February 25, 2017

Winter 10x10 Remix
(A Capsule Wardrobe Experiment)

Capsule wardrobes, streamlining your closet, minimalism – whatever you call it, I'm a huge fan. I was a little late to the party, but I decided to try Unfancy x Style Bee's Winter 10x10 Remix challenge.

What this means is that you choose 10 items from your wardrobe (including shoes!) and only wear those pieces for 10 days, which means you learn to get creative. :) Luckily, accessories (like scarves and jewelry) don't count and can be added in freely.

So let's take a look at the outfits I was able to create with these 10 items and what I learned from this experiment!


MY 10 PIECES


THE OUTFITS


WHAT I LEARNED

I DISCOVERED NEW OUTFITS THAT I TRULY LOVE
This may seem like it would be a no-brainer, but some of my favorite outfits during this remix are ones that I never would have worn before.

For example, my cognac knit sweater... because it's form-fitting than my other sweaters, I didn't think I could layer anything underneath. And because I thought that, I never even tried!

Now layering a shirt underneath that sweater is probably my favorite way to wear it. And it felt different enough where it felt the same as buying something new that I'd be so eager to wear.

LAYERING MAKES MY WARDROBE GO THE DISTANCE
I started to nod to this idea in my first takeaway, but honestly, if you feel like you're in a rut with your wardrobe – layer it up!

This wasn't a newfound discovery for me in itself since I live in Minnesota and it's essential for staying warm. But I layered pieces that I didn't necessarily gravitate towards in the past. And you know what, I kind of loved it. Clearly, because my favorite outfits were ones that incorporated layering. :)

After the halfway mark, it definitely became harder to come up with new outfits and spark creativity, but the ones that had any element of layering included were probably the ones that made me feel like I had a whole new wardrobe.

IT REKINDLED MY LOVE FOR OLD PIECES I HADN’T WORN AS MUCH BEFORE
Like these black ankle boots. Why haven't I been wearing these?!

I bought these ankle boots last year to fill the void in my closet that was black boots. I always preferred cognacs, tans, and browns, but I felt like I just needed one pair black boots just in case. And that's kind of what they were... the "just in case I need to switch things up" boots that I wore every now and then, but far and few in between.

I'm a big fan of my chelsea boots, but now, these booties might be my current favorites. And actually on Day 10, I had originally planned to wear my chelsea boots, but I swapped them for these because I wanted to wear them that much!

I PROBABLY COULD LIFE OFF TWO PAIRS OF JEANS
This remix made me realize that even if my whole wardrobe was available, I would still reach for these jeans over any of my other pairs. Frankly, the only reason I reach for any of my other pairs of jeans is when these two are getting washed! 

BUT I NEED TO UPGRADE THE JEANS THAT I HAVE
This remix made me realize that even if my whole wardrobe was available, I would still reach for these jeans over any of my other pairs. Frankly, the only reason I reach for any of my other pairs of jeans is when these two are getting washed! My Madewell black skinny jeans stood the test of time and wore A LOT better over the course of two weeks and I came to the sad realization that I need to ditch my American Eagle dark wash skinny jeans.

As comfortable as they are, I really only bought them was because they were affordable and I never have to get their jeans hemmed. But even one day after being freshly washed, they stretched out when I wore them and I constantly had to pull them up. So slowly, but surely, I'm going to be replacing my jeans with ones that are a better investment in the long run.

Side note: Madewell accepts donations for any brand of denim jeans at their stores, which get recycled and turned into housing insulation. And they'll give you $20 off your next pair, so that is where my old jeans will be going!


P.S. Check out Caroline and Lee styled their 10 pieces for more inspiration – LOVE THEM BOTH!

Unfancy 10x10 Recap
Style Bee 10x10 Recap

Follow

1 comment: