Monday, October 19, 2015

The Stress-Free Way to Downsizing Your Closet

I shared a while back that after the move, I was going to try a capsule wardrobe. I've been in love with Caroline's blog, Unfancy, since she introduced the blogosphere to this amazing concept. If you haven't seen her blog, you need to stop what you're doing and go check it out now. And come back and finish reading this post, por favor. :)

I'd actually been re-evaluating my closet every few months and purging the things that didn't fit my style or I wasn't getting as much wear out of already. So this time around, there wasn't much to get rid of. But if you're a borderline hoarder like I am or are feeling a bit uninspired and want a fresh start, these are some of my tips that I adapted from reading Caroline's blog in downsizing my closet. I'll be sharing my capsule wardrobe in another post, hopefully soon!

Image via


TAKE IT ALL OUT / Start by taking everything out of your closet. It may seem really annoying, but if you’re trying to downsize your closet, this really helps you visualize how much you actually have.

LOVE IT, GOTTA HAVE IT / First, make a pile for your most-worn, absolute favorite pieces. These should be things that you’re already wearing on repeat and love. So this step should be pretty easy!

YES, NO, MAYBE? / The maybe pile is probably the trickiest one to deal with. This pile turns into a wide range of items that are thrown in for different reasons. Some of these clothes will be ones you like, but haven’t worn in a while, items that have sentimental value that you’re having a hard time parting with, or clothes that you like but need to be repaired. The list goes on and on. So to make this step easier, here are a few questions you can ask yourself as you’re going through these items:

Have I worn this at least once in the past year? Evaluate this on a seasonal scale if you can't wear it all year round. If I have, this can stay in the “maybe” pile. If not, this should go into the “no” pile.

Does this item still fit me? If not, put it in the “no” pile. I've been there and tried to hold onto things that might fit me later. But in the end, I'm left with a pile of clothes I just don't end up wearing and it can also spiral into low self-esteem. You're not defined by what size you currently are, so toss it out and don't look back. If you still need a reminder, watch this.

Would I buy this item again if I saw it in-store today? If not, say goodbye. BEST. TIP. EVER. I cannot tell you how helpful this step alone has been!

Does it need to be repaired? If so, is it worth repairing? Will I wear it even if it was fixed?

IN LIMBO / Once I’ve finalized the items that go into the “maybe” pile, I like to keep this in storage that is out of sight. I usually keep these under my bed in storage bins. Because it’s hidden away, I tend to forget about them, and generally what happens is that I don’t miss them! After a few months, I’ll pull these out of storage and if I didn’t have an urge to pull any of these clothes out during that time, I’ll give them away. This makes it so much easier to give away any items that seemed difficult at first and makes the whole process stress-free.

FASHION SHOW / After you’ve got your “love it” and “maybe” piles down, it’s time to try them all on. I know, I know. Ain’t nobody got time for that. But this is a really important step. Some things that you thought you loved, may not be the case when you put it on. If you haven’t worn it since the last season, you may be surprised by the feeling that you get when you put it back on. Just because you loved it last season, doesn’t mean you’ll always love it this season. This step really helps you decide whether the item is really something you want to keep or something you need to think about a little more.

WE ARE NEVER, EVER, EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER / (T. Swift references never get old.) Then lastly, make a “no” pile. This pile probably won’t be very big, but you should have a good idea of the clothes that you haven’t worn and probably will not wear. Some of these will be recruits from the “maybe” pile too. I like to split this up into a friends and family giveaway pile and a donation pile. I try not to throw any items away unless they shouldn’t see the light of day.

GET SOME INSPO / Now that you’ve divvied up your wardrobe, it’s time to get inspired. Have a look through Pinterest, Instagram, or your favorite blogs and pinpoint some outfits and pieces that reflect the style that you want to have. This step really helps you figure out what you already have and what you’ll need to achieve the look you’re going for. This doesn’t mean you need to copy your inspiration to a tee, but it’s a good way to see the types of things you gravitate towards.

LET'S GO TO THE MALL / Once you've sort of defined the style or vibe you're aiming towards, make a list of what's missing and hit the shops. What's also important here is that it may not happen all in one day. Be patient and look for quality items that you know you'll love. Happy shopping, friends!


Follow

4 comments:

  1. I love your style of writing! (T-swift reference!) I have such a hard time getting rid of clothes. I always end up thinking "well maybe some day I'll go to a themed party and need this random piece of clothing." Haha thanks for the tips!
    -Krissy
    www.allthedetailsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Who doesn't love a little T. Swift? :) I'm glad this was helpful! It took me a few rounds before I could comfortable start giving things away. But once you do, you won't regret it!

      Delete
  2. Loved this post! I could definitely do with clearing out my wardrobe haha, love the T Swift reference too! xx
    Chasing Belle 23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you! I feel like it's such a daunting task at first. I'm sure the T. Swift references help. ;) Love your blog too! I just read up on your post about traveling to Amsterdam because I'm going at the end of March. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! So excited :)

      Delete