Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Motivating Reads To Kick Start The New Year

Image via

I decided not to write any specific resolutions this year, but there are definitely things I want to be more mindful of and make time for in 2016. And one of those is reading more books! But I also really want to be more cognizant of things I'm thankful for, living with less, being more organized, allowing myself to exercise creativity more often, and doing my best at work – no matter what kind of day it is.

So with that said, I rounded up a few books that I want to read that I'm hoping will start the new year off right and give me motivation to reach these goals and make it a lifestyle change.


1 / THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP
I know I'm a little way late to this party, but everyone has been talking about this book nonstop since last year. I'm a pretty organized person in general, but I can never get enough of it. Because of the hype, I've already heard snippets from the book (especially the more extreme theories that she puts into practice), but I'm really excited to dive into this and have a feeling it'll give me the itch to have a serious clear-out session in the near future.
Blogging is something that I hope I continue to pursue passionately throughout this year, but I hope that I can also tap into other ways of uncovering creativity in my life. However, with that comes an undeniable wall of fear. Fear that I might fail, fear that I'm not good enough, the list goes one. But I was listening to the interview Elizabeth Gilbert did on The Jess Lively Show and it made me really want to prioritize my creativity this year and to just go all in. Yay for pursuing goals and dreams!

3 / EVERY GOOD ENDEAVOR
Confession time. I've been reading this book with a friend since last year, but have yet to finish it. Oops. That being said, it's been a really great read so far! We're approaching the end, but because it's taking so long, I definitely want to read it straight through again. After every chapter, it just leaves me feeling more grateful for the job that I've been given and the talents that I have graciously been blessed with to fulfill a bigger purpose through my work. If you're feeling uninspired about your job or your career path, definitely give this book a read. It'll really open your eyes and give you a refreshing perspective on how to view your work!
I feel like the new year somehow (supernaturally) brings a newfound sense of energy and discipline in my day to day routine. But sooner rather than later, I start feeling really drained and have a desire to become really lazy. In order to do my best, I have to start prioritizing what's important and learn to stop overanalyzing. I have a tendency to overcommit to things because doing more makes me feel more productive or successful, but the idea of this book is to get the right things done instead of getting more done in less time. I think it's a really interesting concept that will hopefully allow me to prioritize more of what is important in each day.

WHAT ARE SOME THINGS YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS YEAR?
ANY BOOKS ON YOUR MUST-READ LIST?

Follow

12 comments:

  1. Big Magic is next on my list! I keep hearing such good things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, same! I'm really excited to start reading that one too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! I read the life changing magic of tidying up earlier this year. I didn't follow all of her advice too specifically but I did like the idea of getting rid of things once they served their purpose. I went through a serious overhaul in my apartment and noticed that I kept gifts that I felt guilty about getting rid of even though I never actually used them and they created clutter. I finally got rid of them knowing that they served their purpose when the person gave them to me. I don't if that makes sense but it just resonated with me and felt freeing once my apartment only had things I absolutely loved in it! I'm going to check out Big Magic next:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting, thanks for sharing! I bet it did feel really freeing to get rid of a lot of those things. I feel like I do the same thing with gifts like that. I really want to read it, but I have been warned about some of her extreme suggestions. :)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, I love Tim Keller (esp Reason for God and Galatians for You) and didn't know about this one - thanks for the reccomendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I haven't read either of those books, so I'll definitely have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

      Delete
  4. Great reads! I have two books that are on my reading list of this new year... Even If Not & Peace for a Lifetime! Thanks for sharing this amazing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad you enjoyed the list and happy reading :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this list--I have added a few of these books to my Goodreads list :) I really enjoyed Big Magic. So many important lessons about the writing process in the book--and the idea that sometimes we aren't meant to write a certain book and to be open to the process of change :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm really happy that they were inspiring enough to add to your Goodreads list! And thanks for that little tidbit about Big Magic. I can't wait to start reading it!

      Delete
  6. Looking at these I want to read all of them, haha. The one about tidying up, I have heard SO many people talking about it. Man, I need to jump on the train! I've also have the Tim Keller book on my bookshelf but have yet to crack the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I need to get going and jump on the tidying up bandwagon too! I have a couple chapters left of Every Good Endeavor and really, really like it. I think I'm going to read it straight through again to really try and soak it in. :)

      Delete