Friday, January 1, 2016

5 Invaluable Lessons I've Learned As A New Blogger

Image via

I told myself from the beginning – if blogging wasn't bringing me joy, step away from it and take a break until I was in the right state of mind. I didn't want the comparison game to consume me, but surprise, surprise – it did and it still does. Honestly, I think know it's something that EVERY blogger goes through. (Even your favorite bloggers who've made it big!) We all go through this.

I've tried to find different avenues to avoid falling into this trap of feeling like I need to do it all and comparing myself to everyone else. I've racked my brain to come up with what I think are original ideas, only to find that someone else has done it better than I have. I've sat there staring at someone else's work thinking, "Well, I'll never be able to do that. So what's the point?" The green-eyed monster of jealousy came out and well, it made itself a cozy little spot in my heart.

But as I was fighting all of these frustrations, I reminded myself why I started all of this in the first place and I was able to ground myself in the passion that drove me to start blogging. So if you're currently feeling or have felt any of those things I just said, here are 5 REALLY important things that I learned about blogging and how to keep going when you feel like giving up.

1 / DON'T COMPARE YOUR BEGINNING TO SOMEONE'S MIDDLE

This is my #1 tip that I cannot stress enough! I heard this watching an "Ask Jess" video recently (which bee-tee-dubs you should totally subscribe to because Jess is seriously awesome!) and it completely changed the way I view my blog. And she's totally right! How could I compare myself to someone else who's been blogging for 5 years? Blogging is a journey and eventually, I'll solidify a voice and style that I'm comfortable with through time and experience.

2 / DON'T TRY TO REPLICATE SOMEONE ELSE'S AESTHETIC AND VOICE

Just don't do it. Because you're not like them and they're not like you, and that's a good thing! If there's something you like about their blog or their writing style, appreciate it, but don't replicate it. Chances are (real talk here), it won't be the same. And that's okay! Bring your own unique voice and perspective because it'll never be the same as someone else. Who knows, maybe they're thinking the same thing about you!

3 / USE THE TALENTS/GIFTS YOU POSSESS TO DO THINGS YOU ENJOY

I don't know about you, but if I find a blogger that I truly admire and want to be like – I feel pressured to do everything they're doing. Not necessarily copying each post, but trying to morph my blog into one in the same by focusing on the same things. But again, we've all been created differently, so I should do things that I'm good at and that I enjoy! Focus on that and you won't be playing the comparison game. There are things you're gifted in that they might not be. Use your talents to create something unique that's totally your own.

4 / FIND A BLOGGING COMMUNITY

Community is key when it comes to being a blogger. Without them, it's really hard to do things on your own. It's amazing how much other people want you to succeed without even meeting you! If you don't know where to start, I'd recommend joining some Facebook groups (The Peony Project, Authentic Bloggers, and Grace, Gold, and Gumption are a few that I've joined that have been great). There are some awesome people waiting to help you, encourage you, and read what you have to share!

5 / BE AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT

Once you've found a blogging community, be a part of it! You know that saying if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Exactly! You can't just expect to reap the benefits of being part of a group while you're silent. Share your posts, but encourage others and read their's too! Be genuinely interested in someone else's work and you'll probably receive the same kindness without having to wait too long. Be a part of their journey and they'll be a part of yours. We're all in this together!

WHAT ARE SOME IMPORTANT LESSONS YOU'VE LEARNED YOUR FIRST YEAR BLOGGING?
HOW DO YOU AVOID PLAYING THE COMPARISON GAME?

Follow

10 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY love this post!!! Great work girl! P.S. your blog is stunning! I really love the look of it :) haha I'm sorta obsessed with gold so of course I like your blog! I really relate to this post, it is a battle to stay focused on you and being authentic and not compare. Powerful post! Watching her video now !
    Danielle Greco - AccordingtoD.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, thanks so much! This is what I love so much about blogging is the community. :)

      I'd definitely recommend subscribing to "Ask Jess" – her videos are so down to earth and really helpful!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to check out some of those blogging communities.
    I definitely think we all get sucked into the comparison game from time to time and it sucks because everyone progresses at different stages and it doesn't mean that we're any less than the person we're comparing ourselves to.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% – SO TRUE! I just need to remind myself of that more so that blogging can still be something that gives me joy instead of stressing me out or making me feel discouraged.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I am definitely guilty of your first point and it makes me feel so inadequate when I compare my blogging journey to those who have been blogging for years! I need to remember where I am!

    Emma
    thehappyjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad this was helpful! I'm with you there too. That was (and still is to be honest!) my biggest hurdle in blogging.

      In the "Ask Jess" video I linked to, she talked about how she would go to some of her favorite big-time bloggers and read their first ever post (if they were still available) to remind her that we all start from somewhere! I thought that was great advice. :)

      Delete
  4. Great article. I need to keep all of these in mind while starting a new year especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! I will definitely need to keep reminding myself of this too. It's so easy for me to get sucked back into the comparison game at times, but we're all doing something with purpose and as long as the passion is there, it'll be great! :)

      Delete
  5. #1 is one of the best things I've learned, because it applies to pretty much everything in life!

    ReplyDelete