Friday, January 22, 2016

My "No Shopping for 3 Months" Experiment

Image via

A while back, I stumbled upon Unfancy (one of my favorite blogs of all time) and was introduced to this crazy-amazing idea of capsule wardobes. 

Definitely check out Caroline's blog if you haven't already, because she goes into more detail on what it is and her how-to guide. And you should also listen to her interview on The Lively Show too because she talks you through the steps and you get to hear her story on how capsule wardrobes sort of came to be. Can you tell I'm obsessed? LOVE HER.

Anyway, I digress. I followed her how-to's to create my capsule wardrobe and also to purge a good amount of my closet before I even got to this step. Annnnd this is where I landed for my first ever capsule wardrobe! Drumroll please...


Structured Tee (Similar) / Striped Boatneck Tee (Similar) / Boyfriend Tee / Dolman Sleeve Tee (Similar) / Sweatshirt (Similar)
Windowpane Shirt / Plaid Shirt (Similar) / Chambray Shirt (Similar) / Boyfriend Shirt / Oversized Sweater (Similar)
Wool Sweater (Similar) / Elbow Patch Sweater (Similar) / Wool Turtleneck (Similar) / Lace Sweatshirt (Similar) / Boatneck Sweater
Cable Knit Sweater (Similar) / Cowlneck Sweater (Similar) / Knit Cardigan / Textured Cardigan (Similar) / Slouchy Cardigan (Similar)
Plaid Trousers / Ponte Pants / Skinny Jeans (Maroon, Dark Wash, Black) / Leggings
Tall Boots (Similar) / Wedge Booties / Ankle Boots / Chelsea Boots / Sneakers (Newer Version)

P.S. sorry a lot of these aren't exactly the same as what I have because I actually didn't have to do much shopping for this capsule wardrobe, but I've done my best to link similar items.

I'm really lucky that our dress code at work is very casual (hollaaaa), so I'm able to wear things that I would wear on an everyday basis. But if you need to have distinct work and casual wardrobes, make capsules for both! Fortunately, I basically get to have casual Fridays every day. Happy dance.

So there you have it! I'll definitely be documenting this along the way and making notes of what got worn a lot, what didn't work as well as I thought, and so on. I'm hoping this is something I'll be able to keep up. Maybe if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll do weekly outfits post? That's what I loved about Caroline's blog is seeing the number of combinations she could make out of a seemingly small wardrobe. Let me know if you'd want to see something like that!

WOULD YOU TRY A CAPSULE WARDROBE?

Follow

8 comments:

  1. Ok seeing this makes me now want to go take my shopping trip. But I do like your no shopping for 3 months list. First I need to get on my health kick. So much on my list.

    I love discovering new bloggers because it gives me ideas on what to write! This is great!

    Glad to have found you!
    Chiara
    chiaramarie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're too nice! I'm glad to have found you too! Just started following you on Bloglovin :)

      Good luck with your new year's resolutions! We can do it!

      Delete
  2. You can totally go 3 months without shopping!! I have gone like half a year without buying anything before and I kind of felt like I was going nuts, but when I had more money as a broke college student I began my love for thrift store shopping. I don't thrift store shop so much anymore for clothing, but it has furnished almost all of my house!!

    I am trying to focus on building a quality wardrobe right now and it is kind of slow going. I'm excited to see where you go with your capsule wardrobe as you build it with more pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Autumn! :) I'm all about shifting to more quality pieces now too, but you're right – it's definitely a slow process.

      And that's awesome! I should definitely look into thrifting more. There's a Salvation Army within walking distance by my office and they have a TON of stuff from Target that's practically brand new.

      Delete
  3. I've actually been super interested in making a capsule wardrobe for myself.
    I am a chronic shopper so I really need to work on that.

    xoxo, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE post weekly outfit photos, I need the inspiration! Did you have Juney build you a pretty copper hanging rack?! Next DIY? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey, friend! Thanks for reading and I'll try to muster up some motivation to get that in the works. :) He hasn't made that yet, but we need to make it happen!

      Delete