Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Staying In On New Year's Eve (Without FOMO)

Image via

Ah, New Year's Eve. For some, it's a night to get dressed up and go out on the town. If that's you, I'm kind of jealous you have a reason to wear sequins. But for others (including myself), there's nothing really glamorous about it. Frankly, I'd opt for a casual night in over freezing my buns off in stilettos any day. Between you and me, I've just spent NYE in my PJs watching HGTV marathons of House Hunters the past couple years. A clear sign I need to get out more.

The point is, I feel like there's sometimes a lot of pressure and hype around what your plans are for NYE when there really shouldn't be. I'd much rather prefer a low-key night (with maybe a few more decorations and sparkle than any other night, just because!) spent with close friends and family, reminiscing about this past year and looking forward to ringing in the new one ahead.

So, if you're still on the fence, here's a few last minute ideas you can do while staying in this NYE that'll make everyone else rethink their plans for next year.


1 / DRESS UP YOUR TEA LIGHTS WITH WASHI TAPE

This is one of those DIYs that makes you say, "Why didn't I think of that?!" But seriously. SO. EASY. And incredibly inexpensive. Such a fun and quick way to make your space feel a little more cozy.

2 / USE LEFTOVER TINSEL FOR DECORATIONS

You don't have to put away the Christmas decorations just yet. Use any leftover tinsel you have and make a wreath. Or just string them up along the wall and it'll be just as festive!

3 / CREATE A RESOLUTIONS BOARD

This idea was actually from someone's 30th birthday – but I thought, why not make a resolutions board instead? Buy some poster board or a roll of craft paper and make it your own! Plus, this could also double as a makeshift photo booth backdrop.

4 / SPICE UP THE COUNTDOWN TO MIDNIGHT

Give everyone a surprise every hour until the clock strikes 12. You can put treats in there or maybe come up with different activities or things to do every hour to make the night memorable! You could even include cards from the next idea, which is...

5 / REMEMBER THE BEST MEMORIES FROM THE YEAR (FREE PRINTABLE!) 

I love this idea because I feel like this introspective time is sort of missed on NYE. Reminisce the best moment of the year, the biggest lesson you learned, the best trip you took, etc. By the end of the night, all you'll remember are the good things that happened and all the blessings in your life.

6 / NEW YEAR'S EVE MOVIE NIGHT

There's nothing like a good old fashioned movie night. Snuggle up in a mound of blankets and your favorite sweats. Watch your favorite NYE themed movies or re-watch some of your favorites from the year. Whatever you do, don't forget the snacks!

DO YOU LIKE TO GO OUT OR STAY IN ON NYE?
HOW WILL YOU BE RINGING IN 2016?

Follow

12 comments:

  1. This is a really fun list. We are staying in and I love the idea of a resolutions board. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you have a great NYE in too! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I like this list! I haven't done anything "fun" (or what most people consider fun) for NYE in 13 years. Haha. My husband and I prefer to spend it with our kiddos. :) Although, I am a social butterfly and have been daydreaming about getting dolled up and going out to celebrate. I'll probably have to wait until I have an empty nest!

    -Shelly
    www.shellyscabaret.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Honestly, I LOVE staying in over going out (not just for NYE), but it is so fun to have a reason to get ready and have a place to go! My friends and I thought about getting dressed up and going to a friend's place instead. Have a happy new year!

      Delete
  3. I really love the ideas of having a surprise every hour until midnight! That is so fun and I'll have to remember that for future years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think it would be really fun and really easy to do :)

      Delete
  4. Great ideas! I have a feeling the boy and I will be playing a bunch of games tonight. That seems to be our new thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Me and my boyfriend love staying in and playing games with friends too. Our friend still has an Nintendo 64, so sometimes we still play! So fun.

      Delete
  5. These are great ideas! We've gone out a lot on New Years and staying in has become our favorite thing to do! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheryl! There's something about being in the comfort of your own home that just sounds so much more inviting, but I do love dressing up from time to time. :) Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  6. I love this list. It gives me so much inspiration. I am sitting on my couch right now with wine. Woohoo. Now to add a DIY project to my list.

    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so happy to hear that :) Sounds like you had a great NYE!

      Delete