Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Make Holiday Gifting Easier Next Year

Image via

We've all experienced the stress of gift giving around this time of year. Most of the time, I'm pressed for time and scrambling to get everything together at the last minute and aching with the pains of a low bank account. I've learned my lesson and figured out a few ways to save myself from the stress next year. With a few simple suggestions, you can turn it around and get ahead of it all next time!


1 / START A HOLIDAY FUND

The biggest problem I think we all struggle with when it comes to Christmas shopping is the enormous hole that is left in our pocket after buying all our gifts. And as we all know, even if we spend a little on each person, it can really add up. So start prepping for next year and set aside a small amount of money towards your holiday gifting budget each week. Think about it – even $10 a week could add up to about $500!

2 / BUY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR

One of my love languages is gifts, so I feel particularly excited when I discover the perfect gift for someone. So when I do stumble upon something I know someone will love, I buy it (even if it's in the middle of July)! I also like to keep a stash of go-to items that I can pull from throughout the year, so if I don't have time to go out and buy a gift, I still have one ready to give.

3 / SCHEDULE ON-DEMAND SHIPPING

If you're constantly shopping for out-of-town relatives like me, you know the dreaded feeling of having to wait in a never-ending line at the post office. So next year, skip the lines and have them come to you! On-demand delivery services, like Shyp and Shipster, allow you to schedule a pickup from their app and someone will come and take care of the rest. No need to even wrap your gift, they'll take care of the packaging too! (Currently limited to certain cities, but worth it if they're available near you)

4 / DIY GIFTS

If you have a lot of people on your list, but honestly can't handle the financial stress of having to buy something for everyone (I've been there so many times) – make it! People always appreciate the thoughtfulness that goes into a DIY gift and it's usually pretty affordable. Start browsing Pinterest and giving them a try – then you can see what works and what doesn't work with plenty of time to spare!

HAVE YOU TRIED ANY OF THESE TIPS BEFORE? HOW DO YOU HANDLE HOLIDAY GIFTING?

Follow

12 comments:

  1. Such good ideas! I had never thought about on demand shipping! DIY gifts are a really good idea & buying throughout the year is something that helps me financially especially if I find something on sale! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mattie, I'm glad this was helpful! :) I'm all about finding things on sale too. I tried using Shyp this year, but it wasn't available in Minneapolis yet (sad face). Hopefully next year, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Very good ideas! Beat the holiday rush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I hope it helps you prep for next year :)

      Delete
  3. These are all great ideas!
    I will definitely be implementing them next year :)

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I have to remind myself to do the same :)

      Delete
  4. Those are all great tips! That on demand shipping thing sounds very interesting. I hadn't heard of that one before.

    Wishing you a wonderful Holiday time :)

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! It's pretty new, so I'm hoping that next year it'll be available where I live! Wishing you happy holidays as well!

      Delete
  5. Great ideas and tips! definitely need to do this this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I hope that they're helpful :)

      Delete
  6. Definitely yes on the holiday fun and buying throughout the year! I do that a lot, but then I feel it leaves a hole in the closet (where gifts usually hide).

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true! I have to rationalize when it's actually a good idea to buy it and when I'm just buying it because it's on sale.

      Delete