Wednesday, July 15, 2015

How to Pack for a Weekend Trip

Image via Sébastian Marchand










Because I'm going to be traveling a bit these next few weeks, I decided to create a three-part travel series to share with you throughout the next week or so and today's a look at part one!

My friends always joke that I'm the "mom" of the group because I liked to be prepared for any situation. But before I knew how to streamline my things, it meant that I was packing everything but the kitchen sink. These days, I've learned to pare back while still managing to have all the essentials covered.

Here are my tips and tricks to packing seamlessly for a weekend getaway.




1 / PACK AHEAD OF TIME
My biggest tip for short trips is to have a toiletries bag packed already. You have no idea how much time this step saves, let alone how many things you won't forget to pack! I always have a bag packed and stashed away in my bathroom that I refill as the products are used up. Which leads me to my next tip...

2 / SAMPLES, SAMPLES, SAMPLES
This is the best time to use them! I find that sample sizes never last long enough for a trip that's any longer than three days, but for long weekends, it's perfect! Take a peek through your stash or visit a Sephora and ask for a couple samples of your favorite products.

3 / MIX AND MATCH
Now obviously this will vary depending on where you're going, what you're doing, and what the weather is going to be like, but the easiest way to pack light is to repeat the same items by mixing them up to create different outfits. I practically live in basics anyway, but I like to stick to a neutral color palette so that everything is easy to mix and match. Plus, accessories can change any outfit and take up less space than those extra shirts you were debating whether or not to pack!

4 / MULTI-TASK PRODUCTS ARE YOUR BFFS
Downsizing your beauty products is one area I always struggled with. But I've learned to cut corners and pack less by bringing more multi-purpose items instead. (Like a tinted moisturizer with SPF or using your conditioner to shave your legs too!)

5 / THE SIMPLE BARE NECESSITIES
Only pack what you absolutely 100% need. Chances are, you'll probably be able to cut down on a lot of things that are "nice to haves", but not essentials. Now that doesn't mean you can't have options (see Step 3!), but if you're only gone for a few days, you're probably not going to need everything you want to pack. One thing that's helped me narrow down the essentials is by re-evaluating what I didn't wear while I was away. It was astounding how many clothes or accessories I didn't even take out of my suitcase. By retracing your packing list, you'll be able to make quick decisions and pack less next time!

I hope you found this helpful and can start incorporating some of these tips into your packing routine. And if you're going on any short trips soon, have fun!

Safe travels and happy packing!


Follow

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yay :) Hope this is helpful and that you have a great time on your trip!

      Delete