Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Never Pay for a Checked Bag Again

Image via Kimberly Richards
Part of me is kind of sad that this is coming to an end, but I'm really excited to talk about the final part of my travel series. It's been a few months since I've been on vacay, so I can't wait to be in California next week!

Packing for a week-long trip can trigger a serious case of overpacking syndrome. So... let's talk how you can avoid overpacking. After studying abroad for a semester in Europe, I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two and have got this packing thing in the bag. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Here's how you can conquer overpacking with five easy steps:



1 / MAKE A LIST
I know some people don't bother with this step, but you never know what you could be forgetting if you don't have it written down. Plus, if you don't have a list, it's easy to just start throwing things into your bag  This is an easy step for me because I absolutely love making lists. But for those of you who aren't as type-A as I am, I made one for you here!

2 / ROLL 'EM UP
Probably the most commonly known tip is to roll your clothes instead of fold them. This was a lifesaver when I was studying abroad. And rolling your clothes also helps minimize wrinkles too! Because the last thing you want to do is have to iron your clothes when you get there.

3 / CHECK THE WEATHER (MORE THAN ONCE)
Now this may be an obvious one, but I know some people who never check it. I know, I don't get it either. I like to check out the forecast once a week before my trip and once the night before I leave to make sure I didn't assume the weather would stay a certain way. This way you know you're packing for the right weather instead of any given situation, which causes severe overpacking!

4 / DOWNSIZE
The purse I use on a day-to-day basis isn't the smallest option, so I like to switch over to one that's more travel-friendly. This helps me decide what I absolutely need versus things that I like to have in my bag just in case. And since you're only allowed two carry on items, I like to pack my purse in my suitcase so I can use a bigger bag as my second carry on item (i.e. tote or backpack).

5 / STICK TO NEUTRALS
I talked about this a little bit already in my weekend packing post, but neutral basics are the best way to pack light. It means that everything is going to match and the outfit possibilities are endless!

And that's wrap, folks! If you have any trips planned this summer, I hope this helps you avoid overpacking and makes packing less stressful.

Leave a comment down below if this was helpful and safe travels!


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment